Saturday, 25 July 2020

Dangerous Dragons

Some recent dragons pieces. Somehow every few months or so it comes back to dragons.

First, a suggestion by somebody that did actually inspire me enough to take it further: a nun versus a dragon - with ruler in hand as a weapon. I wanted it to be quite dynamic posing, drew it on A3 and at an angle, which I would then keep as I scanned in and pieced back together the drawing. After some deliberation of how I would take the drawing forward, I decided to keep the original pencil sketch as I felt that to go over in pen would kill the dynamism of the lines - and I'm pleased I did keep it so. I also got in my mind to give it a bit of an old comic book panel look, and as well as the pencil I retained the grains of the paper left when it scanned, hoping it too would add to the effect of the piece.  



Soon after that I worked on this interpretation of Smaug, the dangerous, gold-loving dragon from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit after having watched back through the films. Quite simply and lightly drawn in comparison to the former piece; however, like the other, the pencil line was retained, scanned and pieced together and the paper marks utilised further with some parts even left uncoloured to give a kind of old, tatty book appearance. The piecing together of the picture after scanning gave a very convenient centre-fold. It didn't take very long to create and decide this piece was done, which can be oh so pleasing when you have other pictures that require quite a bit more time. 


And that's enough dragons for the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment