Tuesday, 23 June 2020

Life Drawing Off The Telly

In May, TV channel BBC4 had a lockdown Life Drawing special. Thanks for that  what a great idea! It had a few different models with a variety of poses and varying lengths of time to draw them in. I liked the link to classic art pieces in their poses and the inclusion of some kind of clothing in some cases to give a theme. This is the kind of thing I want if I'm life drawing these days, to inform my own art a bit more. As this was taking place in the living room, I wasn't going to risk paints and pencil and charcoal (firmly staying in my hand) were the main tools here. It's great to see more arty programmes the last few years  particularly Sky Arts' Portrait Artist of the Year. 

In between the human life drawing, I also had the privilege of a smaller life drawing opportunity in the form of a cat (later, also another), and so amongst my human drawings below are a few cats. 

The usual 'I'm really out of practice!!!' start with a bit of a duffer. This wasn't helped by not realising the camera was going to turn away from the pose just as I started, and then a frantic working out how to access the red button on the new remote control. So unfortunately the initial short poses were missed  aside from the scribble above. 

Screwed up the arm and just couldn't pull it back. I'll be honest about it with the blackened scribble.


Messed up proportions, but what a great pose with instrument!

When I remember what self-admiring Greek myth art piece this is based off is, will edit. 

Pose choice based off 'Liberty Leading The People' by Eugene Delacroix.

So I certainly felt out of practice with it, but nevertheless found it fun to do. Fortunately we have the earlier non-lockdown programme recorded, as well. (The way the show is edited, it is much better to do it 'live'  too late!  but I reasoned I can just pause the TV when it goes to the model and still draw for the length of time they suggest.) I will be able to do some more again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment