Finally we got another version of His Dark Materials: Northern Lights after the troubled film of 12 or so years' back, and in series form — all the better to tell the story by Philip Pullman. My picture actually combines the versions; the series much fresher in my mind, but Lyra is more like in the film and book. (Too late I remembered that these kinds armoured bears are meant to have thumbs to really work it into the image.) My ideas changed quite a lot in colouring this image and it's not entirely what I was originally envisioning to do... but I'd say going in the right kind of direction. In the end more 'simplicity' felt right for this particular piece.
And here's a version in black and white, just 'cause it looked quite fun:
And the following sketch again links with armour: here, a female knight. A little experiment I started last year and came back to this year, to draw a slightly more life-like human than usual (life drawing aside) and also to draw some armour, with the hope to create more historically-themed pictures in time. Kept as a fairly rough sketch and a simple colour job. When I first drew her I realised she looked familiar and couldn't quite put my finger on it. It's later I realised she looked a bit like Eleanor Tomlinson, the Poldark actress, so I worked with that a little... The armour comes across flatter here suggesting I had more fun with the face, but in time I want to get the armour to stand out more with more detailed, refined pictures. The 'noise' effect in Photoshop was my friend both here and the above picture for said armour to help lift it a little. Oh - and the weird horses at the top were just really scruffy doodles to use up an old pencil on the same piece of paper, which I never got around to erasing in the scan, and just became part of the picture.
Excuse the poor writing... I just couldn't quite get my head around what I wanted to say.
Life drawing to come soon.



No comments:
Post a Comment