Monday, 11 May 2020

Kaleidoscope And Sea Beasts

Quite unrelated, but it's quicker to lump more than one picture in a post.

The first picture follows on from the last post with lots of COLOUR. Back in the swirling mists of the late 1990s - early 2000s TY Beanie Babies were a huge craze. Fast forward to 2019 and after selling a few bits on eBay I decided it was the time to get that Beanie I had always wanted but had never got: Kaleidoscope the cat. Earlier this year I drew her* and recently coloured it. I was going to colour her traditionally, but I suddenly felt a bit overwhelmed by all the colour changes just within her paws and found myself scanning it instead. I added some textures at the end to give it a slight watercoloury appearance. Quite a fun li'l pic to do, and possibly tempting to draw another TY or two.

(* - I'm not clear whether Kaleidoscope is supposed to be a male or female, but I lean towards female... at least, mine is.)

On the less colourful side of this post, and harking back to an older post on pictures inspired by books and musicals and so on that have made an impression on me... Here is a plesiosaur and an icthyosaur, fighting it out. More of a Victorian interpretation (note the large ring around the ichy eye), and as described in the book Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. I thought it was an enjoyable read; I do like a good ol' classic. Oddly my front cover features a theropod dinosaur that doesn't even appear in the book -- but anyway. I must admit I drew this last year and it got half-forgotten in my sketchbook and in any case was a bit on the messy side in its charcoal glory. You can see it's a pretty loose drawing and I liked the lack of pressure I gave myself with it.


More pictures in the works~

No comments:

Post a Comment