Should be a snow dog; what a snowy time we're having this beginning of March...
I don't celebrate the event of the Chinese New Year, but I'm certainly intrigued by the choice of animals for their Zodiac, and really wanted to do an Earth Dog picture this year. Previously I have done one for the Sheep, and then didn't quite get around to doing one for the Monkey or Rooster.
Drawn and outlined on A3 paper, scanned and digitally coloured. At first I misinterpreted the fact I'd seen a red dog image as meaning that it was a Fire Dog and gave the dog an 'aura' of flames. Discovering it was in fact an Earth Dog, I changed the aura to be more of a earthy, dust and dirt kind of glow! There's more dust and dirt collecting around him, as he brings forth his earthiness. I had a kind of idea how it should look and actually didn't quite follow through with it; certain colours were not working and so I took inspiration from how much red was used as a celebratory colour for YOTD. Thankfully, reddening (and pinking) the background, I feel, did my picture a favour; as did the texture - suits it so well. Unintentionally, it reminds me a bit of comic book-ish in appearance.
Exhibition is now over! More to come soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment