Three of my pieces were on display, including a print version of my 'Three Goats Gruff' painting (I posted here sometime last year: http://fransdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/three-billy-goats-gruff.html ) to add some colour, as I usually submit the more sketchy and limited colour palette pieces. The other two were newer pieces and more in my usual for-display mould. It's ever lovely to have the chance to display some pictures, often otherwise rather hidden away.
~*~
'Relaxing Capybara'
As ever, my photos were my friends for reference and inspiration. I had two clear photos of a capybara at Bristol Zoo, one with him/her sat and the other with his head in a bucket... and so I merged the poses to be two capybaras in this sketchier piece and in a more in the wild-type background. This was also my chance to use some new fur brushes I downloaded on Photoshop. Sketched it out on textured paper, scanned and coloured on the fur, wasn't too happy with the lightness of the background, printed it and actually drew onto the print to darken the background (not my usual process!). Because of this method, I scanned it in again to show here and it will have affected the colouring.
~*~
'Amur Leopard'
I think it was at Cotswold Wildlife Park where I saw this Amur leopard. It looks rather sad in this photo, and so also my drawing, and it makes me think about the fact that they are sadly endangered. Here's my picture as a bit of awareness, therefore, of this particular leopard. Leopards are supposed to be my favourite wild animal and so it was also about time I drew one again. Managed to keep it entirely traditional, which was nice for me and meant the textured paper wasn't then killed at the scanning stage. Textured, A4; used black pen, primarily, and some thicker lines with a felt tip, some shading with graphite pencil, and a bit of white chalk to highlight areas where the light shone (the chalk I wasn't sure about in the end, but once it was on there it was there). As with many pictures, background was altered a little to suit where I was going with the pic. I did dither quite a bit over the picture, not knowing where to go with it, whether to colour, whether to scan, etc., but I think it was happy staying black and 'white' in the end in this case. Scanned version.
~*~
In other years I have kept meaning to take a photo of the pieces on display in the gallery, yet have not managed to do so...... however, this year I did. So here is proof of display! It's quite fun to see them in a bit of context, though you can't see much of the pictures around it.





The fur on the capybaras is great. And the leopard picture looks stunning in situation. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! :D
Delete