Monday, 22 May 2017

Explore Horizons Young Writers 2017

Had a couple of days to get an image together for the winning story of this year's Explore Horizons (tutoring company) 'Young Writers'' competition. A futuristic-theme, it was quite a different subject for me to draw, and more of a challenge -- not to mention the time limit and interpreting this intriguing story to a workable image as best as I could. In that time, of course, there are things I might have done a little differently, but I'm pleased I tried out a few different things, such as the recolouration of lines to merge the items in the picture more, which helped to make the outcome fairly effective. Oh, and I should also mention, because it will keep nagging at me and I do know my hands!: yes, the hand is the right way; it's supposed to be pressed a little to the glass, and with more time I would have refined that more. Hopefully it is clear enough; but if not, well I'll make sure future pictures have the clarity. All a learning process! I do hope it was liked; don't want to ruin the vision in the writer's head! :D

A link to the website post where you can also read the story itself:

https://www.explore-horizons.com/blog/read-north-texas-childrens-writing-competition-winning-story/

The image was hand drawn and outlined on different sheets, then pieced together and coloured (including recolouring of lines) in Photoshop.

Shrunken version:


I have also illustrated T-shirts and workbooks for Explore Horizons (which I don't think I have made a separate post about). More information can be found on the 'Projects' tab just under my robot banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment