Wednesday, 29 August 2018

Back Up The Fighting Forces

Ah, one way or another I didn't get posting in July... and here is something I finished in June. One of those British World War II posters which caught my eye because it advertises the different 'fighting forces' options: (land) soldier, RAF and Royal Navy with some very determined-looking men. I wanted to do something of my own with this rather patriotic Wartime piece.

Here's the original:



And follows my version. First way of making it my own, change the men to animals of the fluffy kind. I also added a simplified Spitfire, trench and naval ship to the top for an added impression of what these men would be getting themselves into (literally). Through this, my version is somewhat more extended out than a poster set up. I tried to keep close to the styling and enjoyed the graphic-y approach. (I confess I have not looked upon this picture since June, so I'm bound to have forgotten some of the things I planned to say and had better not look before submitting else I'll want to alter things.) 



I'm very much aware that this year marks 100 years since the end of World War I, (plus more anniversaries aside - but more on that later), and am hoping to get another piece - possibly WWI poster inspired - out before the end of the year to commemorate such an anniversary. 

On a similar note, I read somewhere recently that children of ? ages in Britain were asked questions about one or both of the wars and their knowledge was severely lacking, to the point that many even thought that Germany was an ally. Fair enough that you can't expect young children to know much about the wars, but older children, and indeed teenagers, well... I assume they are still being taught to some degree at school, and aren't there quite a few films and television programmes set over these times still coming out, that one cannot be completely ignorant about it, surely? Does it do to allow youngsters to forget about these wars, including one where many people who experienced it still live? Something to chew over. Possibly not something to debate further on an art blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment