'Macaque Monkeys'
I used two photos - one with the monkey looking up, and the other with the mum and child together - thinking they might just work as one image, despite the camera angling being different. Some inspiration was taken from the simple backgrounds, but the rock and other small bits were made up to make the monkey looking up work better with the others. (Out of interest, these zoo photos are from a France holiday back in 1999.) I used textured paper which had some coloured leaves stuck in the paper, which I thought could work with this kind of background. The general texture of the paper unfortunately gets lost with scanning, but that's what I get for not daring the colour traditionally! After going over the rough pencil lines with black fine line pen, then scanning, I worked some colour in with Photoshop. I tried colouring some more but felt it didn't really add anything, so went back to this stage.
'Sitting Bear'
Another
animal choice I don't tend to draw so much of, and a photo from the
same zoo trip as the monkeys. A fun 'sitting' position this bear was
captured in, reminded me of a bear performing tricks, and the textured
paper I found with the differently-coloured flecks reminded me a tad of
circus-y colours. (Wasn't it recently that using animals in circus
performances was finally banned for good?) Anyway, this bear was
sat like this against some rocks, and not much else could be seen of
drawing interest in the shot, and so I came to decide to keep it
simplified - hope it could work enough with the bear and rocks only. I
do seem to really like drawing rocks; there's definitely a pattern
there. Same process as above.
'Eagle Owl'
The final picture on display was a previously uploaded image I created whilst at the first exhibition (2015) when I was an 'artist in residence'. It can be seen at this link, along with what I exhibited then:
Owl & 2015 Exhibition
Last year's 'Ruffed Lemur' display piece:
Ruffed Lemur
I didn't have time to be an artist in residence this year, but when I popped in to see where my pictures were the artist at the time there said some people had commented on the bear. It's nice to hear a piece got some people talking, noticing; otherwise who knows what the viewers are thinking at these exhibits! Great to have a chance to display some pictures again.
~
On another note, this is apparently my 101st post. I thought this was going to be my 100th post, but looks like 'Buddy Holly Cat' got that honour. Hooray for 101 (Dalmatians) posts and quite a few years now on this blog! Very much appreciated those who do keep stopping by to take a look at my pictures of this continued 'creative endeavour'.
Owl & 2015 Exhibition
Last year's 'Ruffed Lemur' display piece:
Ruffed Lemur
I didn't have time to be an artist in residence this year, but when I popped in to see where my pictures were the artist at the time there said some people had commented on the bear. It's nice to hear a piece got some people talking, noticing; otherwise who knows what the viewers are thinking at these exhibits! Great to have a chance to display some pictures again.
~
On another note, this is apparently my 101st post. I thought this was going to be my 100th post, but looks like 'Buddy Holly Cat' got that honour. Hooray for 101 (Dalmatians) posts and quite a few years now on this blog! Very much appreciated those who do keep stopping by to take a look at my pictures of this continued 'creative endeavour'.


No comments:
Post a Comment