I came back from the Monstra Festival in Lisbon, Portugal a few days ago. I must say I'm very glad I went, and I think it cheered me up in various ways (can't say so much for giving me bounds of motivation for my own film, unfortunately). It also made me think again about my priorities with work and such.
The screenings themselves were mostly in the evening; we generally went to the Competition and Student showings. There was some positive stuff coming out from all around - and of course a bit of muck to baffle the mind. There was lots of hand drawn films coming out of it too, which was nice to see.
The most stand out part of the festival had to be meeting Bill Plympton; I am also proud to say I am no longer an autograph virgin. I think I came across slightly fangirl-y, what with the getting a picture taken with him, two signed postcards with doodles on (from separate days) and a signed copy of his 'Bill's Dirty Shorts' DVD. In my opinion, Bill's human-focused films are far better than his animal ones - they're the proper good Plymptoons to me. But yeah, that was a great experience!
Also interesting was Michaela forgothernameI'llputitrightsoon, who also did a masterclass, among some others as Normand Roger. I am only sorry that I was so tired through several of the screenings and classes.
Monstra, Lisbon was definitely a great opportunity - a nice little festival, though not the best organised. There was plenty of interesting buildings and some things to see around the city, too. It was nice to chat to fellow students out of uni-hours and get to know a few new faces. :) Again I say: very pleased I went!
I will upload a few pictures soon of Lisbon-yness.
The screenings themselves were mostly in the evening; we generally went to the Competition and Student showings. There was some positive stuff coming out from all around - and of course a bit of muck to baffle the mind. There was lots of hand drawn films coming out of it too, which was nice to see.
The most stand out part of the festival had to be meeting Bill Plympton; I am also proud to say I am no longer an autograph virgin. I think I came across slightly fangirl-y, what with the getting a picture taken with him, two signed postcards with doodles on (from separate days) and a signed copy of his 'Bill's Dirty Shorts' DVD. In my opinion, Bill's human-focused films are far better than his animal ones - they're the proper good Plymptoons to me. But yeah, that was a great experience!
Also interesting was Michaela forgothernameI'llputitrightsoon, who also did a masterclass, among some others as Normand Roger. I am only sorry that I was so tired through several of the screenings and classes.
Monstra, Lisbon was definitely a great opportunity - a nice little festival, though not the best organised. There was plenty of interesting buildings and some things to see around the city, too. It was nice to chat to fellow students out of uni-hours and get to know a few new faces. :) Again I say: very pleased I went!
I will upload a few pictures soon of Lisbon-yness.
No comments:
Post a Comment