A few weeks back we had a Typography workshop. Now Typography is something that doesn't interest me usually (not image-driven enough for me). So it is somewhat ironic that this is perhaps the workshop that created my best - or at least obtained the most positive response - final piece. The brief was that we were given a font, and we had go to away and find an invention or particular note that happened in the year the font was invented, or the year in which the creator was born.
Where Graphics works in my favour is the sketchy, playful ideas with a definite font or image... perhaps I am making little sense. Maybe I should upload my sketch ideas; it's usually interesting to see the thought process before the proper thing.
The first poster, at A2 paper size, was my final piece. My font was Broadway, and it is representing the Solar Eclipse of 1929 - the year the font was created. It interestingly even matches the style of graphics imagery that may have been at the time.

The bottom poster was again, Broadway, but this time it represented the first broadcast on television from the BBC in 1929.
Please note that these are pretty rough looking because of the amount of time I had to do them in. With more time I would hope they would be created more cleanly.
---
In other news, I have been to see new stop motion Coraline at the cinema, twice. Both times I have enjoyed it; and it has been a nice difference to see a good non-CGI animation on the big screen again! I had some initial reservations about the film: the design looked nothing too appealing/would it just be another stop motion that comes out looking practically another computer animated venture, etc. Fortunately at times, you could tell it was stop motion with particular close-ups and a wonderful scene of performing mice!
Definitely more fun than the simply average Bolt.
Where Graphics works in my favour is the sketchy, playful ideas with a definite font or image... perhaps I am making little sense. Maybe I should upload my sketch ideas; it's usually interesting to see the thought process before the proper thing.
The first poster, at A2 paper size, was my final piece. My font was Broadway, and it is representing the Solar Eclipse of 1929 - the year the font was created. It interestingly even matches the style of graphics imagery that may have been at the time.
The bottom poster was again, Broadway, but this time it represented the first broadcast on television from the BBC in 1929.
---
In other news, I have been to see new stop motion Coraline at the cinema, twice. Both times I have enjoyed it; and it has been a nice difference to see a good non-CGI animation on the big screen again! I had some initial reservations about the film: the design looked nothing too appealing/would it just be another stop motion that comes out looking practically another computer animated venture, etc. Fortunately at times, you could tell it was stop motion with particular close-ups and a wonderful scene of performing mice!
Definitely more fun than the simply average Bolt.
I like your retro typographic style :)
ReplyDeleteArgh! Comment! Thank you, Ollie. The guy who did the workshop with us commented that it looked like the older stuff.
ReplyDelete