Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Ruffed Lemurs On Show

Well, were on show. My framed, exhibition piece displayed at Nature In Art. Took one of the photos I (or mother?) captured at Dallas Zoo back in April last year for inspiration, with the idea of the ruffed lemur sat upon a rock and the other one appears to be waving... I drew it first on yellowy textured paper, which unfortunately quite a lot of the effect is removed when scanned, but you can still just about see a hint of texture. As you can see I coloured it lightly and sparingly on Photoshop to create an overall illustrative look. (I didn't colour it traditionally because I wasn't confident it would work out how I wanted.) I'll certainly do more like this, as it does combine a few illustrative methods which I like.


And like last year, I was an artist in residence for a few hours. Wasn't sure what to do, so took a few more of my diddy Dallas photos with me and loosely scribbled from those. Tried to relate how I created them with how I created the lemur picture, but with handy coloured pencils instead. That manatee was such a funny big blob. He pressed his face against the glass reaaally close to me and as he swam/floated around he kept holding on to this plank of wood.

Scanned some other sketches from my book while I was in the swing of it, so will post them up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment