I took a photo a few years ago whilst at the zoo in Paris of basically the silhouette - because of evening drawing in - of a red panda walking upon crossed logs. I thought it was a fun photo and so with not long until the exhibition I decided maybe that could be the final piece to show, a drawn, digital version of the photo. I lightened the colours more for better clarity. It's not a brilliant piece, but it was a good chance to work some more into a background again and push a bit more 'realism'. Drawn and coloured entirely with the mouse in Photoshop.
Across The Log
3 out of 4 of these sketches have been on this blog before in different circumstances. I decided to select a few sketches and add some simple colour digitally to make a collage of sorts.
Creature Collage
Birds
---
My main piece for the exhibition was almost going to be a scene inspired by a photo I took of a mara (again in the Paris zoo). Plopping 'em here, too, because why not. Pen and some wash in sketchbook.
What I sketched while I was vulnerable to the public gaze! Was a rush decision to take a few photos with me to choose to draw from while in the room. I haven't really done a proper focused pencil sketch like this in a while, so I was pleased not to make a big mess of drawing the owl when people would be able to see! I had a few compliments whilst I was drawing it so that was very encouraging for me. It was actually very good for me to be in the room with few distractions, so I really had little more I could do than keep working at it. Not sure if I should leave it as it is as it stands in 'real life' (the scan was kind at bringing out the pencil marks on the thin bit of card), because I know not to work too much into it, but we'll see.
Finally, what I started working on when I tired of the owl sketch. My first go at using the conte colours I bought a little time ago, so more a rough, experimental try. From a photo of one of my lovely cats experiencing her first snow - I'd better not show her this.
Phew, that's it from the exhibition. Thanks for looking.







Thanks for putting these pics on your blog, for those of us unable to attend the exhibition IRL!
ReplyDeleteYay for the Toot pic! Let all see her Glory. She looks a little unsure of the snow... I'll bet Scoot liked it, an opportunity to cause more trouble! Hopefully he didn't throw snowballs at Toot D:
The owl pic is very good - excellent detail on the feathers & talons.
Nice to see things from Le Zoo! (Anything from Le Jardin Des Plantes?) Also good to see some old stuff coloured in - I esp like the parrot.
Hope to see more good stuff soon!